[Sca-cooks] lemon barley water?.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 16 05:06:15 PDT 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 3:57 AM, otsisto wrote:

> http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/Orng-Lmn-drks-art.html
> Digby in 1675 includes a barley water flavored with the juice of an
> orange,
> but the recipe seems far more barley than orange in its flavors. It
> reads:
>
> A Cooling Drink in a Fever.
>
> <snip>

> Sieve; drink of this with the juice of an Orange, and a little fine
> Sugar.

The proportion of orange to barley may not be as low as it seems at
first. Since you're drinking it with the juice of an orange, isn't it
conceivable that means (suppose we plug in some made-up numbers for
effect here) 1/3 cup Seville orange juice for eight ounces of barley-
water and some sugar?

Now, if Digby had said, "mix all this with the juice of an orange",
that would be different -- you'd be drinking a miniscule portion of
the juice of an orange in each cup, rather than the juice of an
orange in each cup.

Adamantius