[Sca-cooks] Round one - Plum Butter

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 19 05:47:56 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>Pardon my naivety, but if the translation calls them "sour cherries",
>why are you using plums? I don't get the connection - which is
>probably my inexperience with period recipes as of yet, but can you
>explain the connection? Thank you.
>
> > Pflaumen Confect - Plum butter

Well, the translation is my own.  But the recipe TITLE is Plum confect.  Why
would Rumpolt make plum butter with cherries?  Perhaps they were more
available to him.  But I'm assuming that a recipe called Plum was, at least
sometimes, made with plums.

And plums are 99 cents pound, while cherries are 3.99.

Ranvaig  > > > > > >

"Plum" may not refer at all to a fruit, but to a translation of "good" as in
plum pudding.  I am also curious if anyone else sees this turning more into
a marmalade sort of affair . . . or is it my own prejudice of having made it
in the past, and thinking jams/jelies are right out (I suspect that is my
prjudice showing through).  The pouring into a tinned fish kettle and "so
you can lift it out" appears.  Really thick 'paste' came right to mind.

niccolo difrancesco