[Sca-cooks] OT Gingterbread Hakka

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 20 14:36:40 PDT 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> Terri Morgan wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFy0GhGxFRs
>>
>> I know it's yet another OT post and normally I'd not make it - but
>> this is
>> the first rainy day of our fall and it was so very good to see
>> something
>> that put a smile on one's face. It's a flour commercial.
>
> 'Haka', actually, and it's a TV ad for the recent New Zealand
> Bakery of
> the Year competition.  The haka itself is 'Ka Mate'-- the haka most
> frequently used by NZ sports teams.

I'm still a little unclear as to what hakka is, other than the name
of a quasi-regional "tribe" of boat dwellers around the coasts of
China... quasi-regional in the sense that they're discussed with
other regions, have their own dialect, cuisine, culture, etc. --
just no place on the map to call home.

I gather "haka" is a Maori dance? Looks a bit like a group kung-fu
drill, too...

Adamantius