[Sca-cooks] Food/recipe ideas

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 25 04:10:07 PDT 2007

Wow, another group to bookmark.
So what sources will NORSA accept in terms of food sources?
I know that Regia will quote informally the Viking answer lady and
cite the articles found here
http://www.regia.org/listings.htm

    * Feasting and Fasting <http://www.regia.org/life/feasting.htm>
    * Fishing in Early Medieval Times
      <http://www.regia.org/life/fishing.htm>
    * Food and Drink <http://www.regia.org/life/food.htm>

*I see that Breakfast each morning and a feast on Saturday are included
in site fee.*
So could you take a small amount of cured ham, maybe pre-fried bacon,
bread, oatcakes,
hard boiled eggs, fruits for the lunches? You could cook eggs or soups
in the evening.
Barley with some meat? Fish? Freeze meat in advance and cook/fry as it
thaws?
Is anyone going to be selling fresh foods on site? What are the chances
of a potluck or
a contributed dish supper?
You have October to pre-cook and try a few things at home before you
leave anyway.
At least it's not this weekend.
I would guess that Devra could probably rush Hagen to you too. Other
authors to check out
are Debby Banham's Food and Drink in Anglo-Saxon England.

Johnnae