[Sca-cooks] CHILI COOK-OFF- OOP

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 30 21:39:53 PDT 2007

> chili Cook-Off

<clipped> --
> Saint Phlip

What, no Texas Road-Kill Chili?

Despite being a joke, the whole thing rings true.

I enjoy chili, but I tend to make it very mild these days due to Margaret's
allergy to capsaicin.  Pre-Margaret, I usually produced a moderate but spicy
chili con carne Mary of Agreda.  The one exception being a chili party where
I made two varieties, one for children and little old ladies and one made
with a fresh Nigerian chili powder (rated at 100,000+ Scoville units).  I
compensated by reducing the amount to 1/3 normal and still wound up with a
chili that left all but the hardiest chili eaters in agony.  After some
research, I suspect the chili powder was from a Nigerian Scotch bonnet,
which, at the time, was classed as the hottest chile pepper in the world,
but has since been replaced by several newer hybrids.

Bear