[Sca-cooks] Cheese, a progress report

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 22:36:53 PDT 2007

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:>I was under the impression that for rennet to work properly,
>there had to be some extra acidity in the milk (usually by
>souring bacteria (usually lactobacillus) producing lactic
>acid)?

And this is probably why Adamantius used a yogurt starter
in his cheese for The Pilgrim's Picnic Basket.

Gunthar
I have occasionally (accidentally) found milk in the back of my refrigerator that's past the expiration date and have been able to get it to curdle a little just by gentle heating.  To complete the job of separating curds and whey I added a tiny bit of lemon juice (no rennet in the house that day).

So now I avoid buying really fresh milk for cheese making.

Cordelia Toser