[Sca-cooks] Sarten, was Fadalat: Stuffed Eggs

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 00:28:08 PDT 2007

A sartén "was" not other thing than a long or round or square frying
pan. In Latinamerica, we use still the word sartén. "Olla" is the pan
you use to make stews and casseroles, "sartén" the pan you use to fry.
The paella is unknown in Latinamerica but if it's done, in a
restaurante specialized in Spanish dishes, is made  in a "paellera", a
round large pan.
Ana

On 9/7/07, Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Suey wrote:
> >A "sarten" was like a paella pan. There is a photo of a "sarten" in the
> >third row down and third from left to right at this site:
> >http://images.google.cl/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=es&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=sarten+medieval&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+de+im%C3%A1genes
>
> On my computer and in my browser, the 3rd row down, 3rd picture from
> the left is a somewhat naughty looking cartoon... ok, it was the
> first time. Each time i go back, the pictures are in a slightly
> different order...
>
> So, do you mean:
> http://www.elrollodecepeda.org/img/cc_trevedes.gif
> (and, hey, live-fire cooks, this is a cool and informative set up of
> a long-handled frying pan on a support over a real fire. I think this
> is probably like what was meant in the recipe...)
>
> Or this:
> http://perso.wanadoo.es/charrito/sarten_small.jpg
> (the owner of the website uses this as a musical instrument, but it's
> clearly a cooking pan)
>
> Or this:
> http://www.saludyturismorural.com/spa/item/resource/Benarum_casas_rurales_guia_gastronomia_03.jpg
> (a basic generic paella pan)
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se

Skarpnäcks Allé 45 ll tr
12833 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci