[Sca-cooks] Milk and cream

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 15:46:48 PDT 2007

I ran a dairy farm for nearly 20 years.  Our herd was mostly
Holstein/Friesians, with a few Jerseys, crossbreeds, and one old Guernsey.
True, Holstein milk usually runs much lower in butterfat than Jersey, but
even so, it usually runs higher than so called "whole" milk.  "Whole" milk
sold by dairies today is 4% butterfat.  In the spring, when production was
highest, and butterfat lowest, our milk ran between 4.5 and 5%.  The rest of
the year it averaged between 5% and 6%.  Our milk was sold to a Co-op.
Everybody's milk was all dumped together, and then the excess fat removed to
make sour cream, ice cream, whipping cream, yoghurt, etc...

Lady Anne du Bosc Known as Mordonna The Cook

Mka Pat Griffin

Thorngill, Meridies

mka Montgomery, AL