[Sca-cooks] Baysar (with favas) - Fadalat

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 9 11:15:08 PDT 2007

Spanish translation of the Arabic:
>cilantro seco

I translated this as:
coriander seed

Suey wrote:
>How do you justify that? I would call it dried cilantro.

Based on the Arabic use in all the texts i've read translated into
Engish with foot notes by Charles Perry, the original Arabic rather
consistently uses "dried cilantro" for coriander seed, and "green
cilantro" for fresh coriander leaves, which here in the US we usually
call "cilantro" (although, IIRC, it sometimes is called "Chinese
parsley").

Actually air-dried cilantro (as would have been done in the distant
past) has very little flavor, although some modern commercial methods
dry it with a little more flavor (but not a whole lot).

BTW, this dish appears to be a forerunner of the modern Moroccan dish
"Bissara", a fava puree.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita