[Sca-cooks] Hildegard's dips?

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:06:21 PDT 2007

I wrote some essays on Hildegarde, one of the Middle Ages most
remarkable women! She lived 81 years, an enormous livespan at that
time when people were old at 40!
She was an expert in nature medicine and could a lot about stones,
herbs and food. Her visions and texts were very intressing and are
collected in the book "Scivias".
But it's very much New Age banality around her, coffe, pasta, we are
talking about a German cloister in Rupperstberg, not in Paris or
London or Venice.
She gave advice to women travelling to see her and she was indeed keen
of having good food for her and her fellow nuns, but I am very
skeptical to the descriptions you quote.
Ana

On 9/13/07, Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> I came across this description this am while browsing in
> Jessica's Biscuit. The book was:  From Saint Hildegard's Kitchen: Foods
> Of Health, Foods Of Joy
> Description reads:
> Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) was a remarkable woman-a scholar, nun,
> mystic, theologian, physician, and composer. She also possessed, by
> means of heavenly visions, precious knowledge about human nutrition.
> Here are hundreds of *her recipes* for meat, vegetables, salads, soups,
> cereals, pastas, sauces, dips, beverages, jams, coffees, wines and desserts.
> Her recipes?
> An twelfth century convent serving a selection of dips and coffees?
>
> Johnnae

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se

Skarpnäcks Allé 45 ll tr
12833 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci