[Sca-cooks] Age and maturity in the Middle Ages

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 02:09:11 PDT 2007

She was engaged and the treaty of marriage was signed when she was 6
years old, the marriage ceremony was held when she was 16.

"The French, remaining true to the Auld Alliance, came to the aid of
the Scots. The new French King, Henri II, was now proposing to unite
France and Scotland by marrying the little Queen to his newborn son,
the Dauphin François. This seemed to Marie to be the only sensible
solution to her troubles. In February 1548, hearing that the English
were on their way back, Marie moved Mary to Dumbarton Castle. The
English left a trail of devastation behind once more and seized the
strategically located town of Haddington. By June, the much awaited
French help had arrived. On July 7, the French Marriage Treaty was
signed at a nunnery near Haddington.
[edit]Childhood in France

With her marriage agreement in place, five-year-old Mary was sent to
France in 1548 to spend the next ten years at the French court. Henri
II had offered to guard her and raise her. On August 7, 1548, the
French fleet sent by Henri II sailed back to France from Dumbarton
carrying the five-year-old Queen of Scotland on board. She was
accompanied by her own little court consisting of two lords, two half
brothers, and the "four Marys", four little girls her own age, all
named Mary, and the daughters of some of the noblest families in
Scotland: Beaton, Seton, Fleming, and Livingston."

Ana

On 9/15/07, S CLEMENGER <sclemenger at msn.com> wrote:
> Uhh.  No.  She was married when she was 15 (in 1558, IIRC).
> --maire, emerging from lurkdom

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se

Skarpnäcks Allé 45 ll tr
12833 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci