[Sca-cooks] lemon barley water drink

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Sep 16 07:10:29 PDT 2007

It's quite common to have added additional flavorings to
barley water-

*86. To make BarleyWater*,

Take a penny-worth of Barley, a penny-worth of Raisins of the Sun, a

penny-worth of Anniseeds, a half penny-worth of Liquorish, about two

quarts of water, boil all together till half be consumed, then strain it,

and when it is cold drink it, your Liquorish must be sliced into small pieces.

 /The Accomplish'd Lady's Delight in Preserving, Physick, Beautifying, and /

/Cookery./ 1675

Johnnae