[Sca-cooks] Anushirwan Cookbook

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 09:06:00 PDT 2007

Susan Fox wrote:
> Suey wrote:
>
>> Perry tells us that this cookbook was written by Kisra Anushirwan
>> ibn-Barzajamhar. Does and one have any information about this like when
>> and where it was written and who was he?
>> Sue
>> _________________
>>

> A review of Perry's COOKING WITH THE CALIPHS says:
>
> "Noodles were usually cooked in soup. The book recounts a quite
> unbelievable story of their supposed invention by the sixth-century
> Persian king Khusraw Anushirwan: He offhandedly tells his cook to throw
> ?some pieces of dough? into his soup."
>
> <http://ageofjahiliyah.wordpress.com/2006/10/05/cooking-with-the-caliphs/>

    Yeah I know. It seems that both references are talking about Khusraw
Anushirwan the Persian king of the 6th Century although so many names
spelled differently causes confusion.
    Perry´s translation of An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
Century,
www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_footnotes.htm
states:
    "It is said in Anushirwan's cookbook[53]
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_footnotes.htm#fn52>
that he who wants his health to last should not eat foods that have
spent a night in a copper container. . . "
and the footnote reads:
"[53]
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_footnotes.htm#fnB52>This
cookbook has already been mentioned on the first page preceding this
text. al-Shaquri, p. 52v, mentions the book and identifies it as that of
Kisra Anushirwan ibn-Barzajamhar. (HM) Chosroes is the Greek spelling of
the Persian name Khusrau, Kisra the Arabic. (CP)"
HM is /Huici Miranda (editor of the Arab edition and author of a Spanish
translation) /and CP is Charles Perry.
/    /I have no knowledge of the "al'Shaquri" text but David Friedman
also seems to be familiar with it. Anushirwan is mentioned in /One
Thousand and One Nights /and in history texts but I can find no other
information about a cookbook written during his reign. I would like to
know a little more about it.
Suey