[Sca-cooks] Soft foods for invalids, was OT-OP-help for ideas, please

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 13:33:39 PDT 2007

Dear Helen,

First, let me say that I can empathize with your grandfather somewhat.  For
a long time after the dental surgery that removed all my upper teeth, I had
problems that would not allow me to wear my dentures.  During those years, I
learned how to eat without any uppers and all, and only a few lowers.  So
these are all foods I find I can easily eat without irritating my gums.

First, and easiest, is homemade sweet bread.  Just cut off the crusts.
Cinnamon bread, Lemon/poppy seed bread, Raisin bread, etc. are all good for
him, if you allow half the flour to be whole grain.

Add a couple of tablespoons of chunky apple sauce to chicken salad or tuna
salad.  Remember to remove the crusts from the bread for sandwiches.

Another easy one is soup.  Campbell's tomato soup is sweetish, and you can
add sugar to make it sweeter.  But homemade soup is much better for him.
Here is my fast and dirty Chicken Gumbo recipe:

FAST AND DIRTY CHICKEN GUMBO
Sweat half a cup of chopped onion, half a cup of chopped celery, and half a
cup of chopped sweet pepper in 2 Tbs. Canola oil.  When the vegetables are
nice and tender, add 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups chopped, cooked
chicken breast, then bring to a boil.  Stir in a cup of cooked chopped okra
(frozen will do nicely).  Add a can of creamed corn, and a can of whole
kernel corn.  Then add a quart or more of V8 juice.  (I use the spicy kind.)
Serve over rice, if you wish.  Be sure to place a bottle of Tabasco on the
table to be added to taste.

SELENE'S INDIAN CORN PUDDING
I've tried this, but the first time I tried it, my grandchildren didn't like
it: not sweet enough, and too peppery.  The next time I made it I used just
a bit of white pepper, and increased the sugar to one quarter cup (2 oz.).
The rug-rats devoured it.  No leftovers.  Your grandpa should love it, as
well.  AND it is nice and mushy with no hard crusts or corners.

>>>On Thursday, October 13, 2006, Selene wrote:

My family loves this one.  This one came from a Girl Scout Council cookbook.
However, it is not very different from one from the Williamsburg Cookery
Book, where it was fresh cut corn and bread crumbs of course.

Corn Puddin

 16 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
 16 oz can creamed corn
 1 cup milk
 3 beaten eggs
 1 tsp salt
 2 tsp sugar
 lots of pepper
 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
 butter - the size of an egg

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

 Grease a casserole dish.  Mix all ingredients except the butter in the
casserole dish. Cut butter into pieces and dab around the top of the
casserole.  Bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours until pudding is set.
 Cool 10 minutes and then serve.

Selene <<<

Lady Anne du Bosc Known as Mordonna The Cook

Mka Pat Griffin

Thorngill, Meridies

mka Montgomery, AL