[Sca-cooks] Lion's Head Soup

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:27:32 PDT 2007

> This is a similar recipe from "Ni Tsan and his 'Cloud Forest Hall Collection> of Rules for Drinking and Eating' translated by Teresa Wang and Gene> Anderson. As you may know, this is a 14th century ms from China, actually> written/compiled by a noted painter of the time.>When they> float to the surface, remove them from the stock and serve, either by> themselves or with the stock.> Hope this helps...> > Kiri
I can definately see how Lion's Head evolved from this. And simmering meatballs in stock seems to be a pretty common dish in a lot of cultures.
The addition of cabbage to the simmered meatballs doesn't sound like much of a stretch. I'll have to go a bit deeper into finding a dish called "Lion's Head". I think the reason the person wanted to know if it was period was mainly for the name.

But with the addition of cabbage to your dish it could certainly be similar.

Thanks for the help!

Gunthar