[Sca-cooks] That Spanish Bread Recipe, Etc.

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 5 08:39:44 PDT 2007

Urtatim posted a cleaned-up version of the "Google" translation.  Here's
Urtatim's version with some corrections.  The removed part is in
parentheses and my suggested corrections are in capital letters.

Bread cooked in the oven

Take semolina, soak it, put some salt in it, let it soften/tenderize, and
(soba it very sobada) MAKE IT VERY SOFT.  (Note: "sobar" means to knead,
rumple, make soft.  Since kneading is mentioned in the next line the best
meaning would seem to be the above one.)

Add leavening and knead it with water, little by little, until the dough
feels just right and appears (smooth) THICKENED.  (Note: "trabado" means
thickened, strong.  There are a few other meanings which don't make sense
here.  So, I am guessing that you want the bread to the right
consistency/thickness/sturdiness.

Put a little fine flour onto it, coat it with the flour and make cakes in
the desired form, place them in a doubled piece of linen or woolen cloth,
cover (Note: While the word isn't here, adding "this" seems to make sense)
again with lamb skin or similar thing, and leave them to rise. The sign
that they are risen is that the mass rises
and that when striking it lets it out a noise. (Next) IMMEDIATELY cook them
with care of in the (furnace) OVEN.  (Note: "En seguida" usually means do
it right away, immediately.  "Horno" should be oven here as it was modified
in the title.)

Once cooked, clean them, put them in a vessel and eat them when it is
necessary (or WHEN THEY ARE NEEDED). If using flour of fine quality or of
any other class there is no necessity to soak it, but from the beginning
put the leavening in it and knead it immediately. In one or the other case
use water that is quite hot.

>NOTES:
>Babelfish could never translate "vasija" - is this a special shaped
container or just a "vessel"?

A "vasija" is listed in my dictionary as vessel, receptacle.  In certain
instances it could be "butt, or cask".

>OK, i found a translation of "sobar" (to fondle, to paw, to grope), but it
doesn't make a lot of sense in this context.

Right, it doesn't.  My dictionary gives to pummel, box, handle roughly; to
soften, squeeze; to massage, knead, manipulate; to paw.  Think about the
stage of the bread dough and which definition might make most sense.

>OK, some elusive ingredients in other recipes:
>alm?ciga (Bablefish said "seedbed" and an on-line
>dictionary said it was a plant nursery) but it
>appears in a list with cinnamon, pepper and
>ginger - is it mace?

It's mastic.  The frustrating part for us digest readers is that the letter
a and its accent mark don't come through so we have to guess.  It might be
good to write something like "alma'ciga" which would come through.  Yes, I
know Urtatim didn't post the original recipe.

>alones - what part of a chicken is this?

A chicken wing, plucked.  "Alo'n" is the plucked wing of any bird.  Your
reference, therefore, is plural.  Hope this helps!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/