[Sca-cooks] bread recipe in Fadalat al-Jiwan fi Tayyibat

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:15:11 PDT 2007

Lilinah wrote:

>  Pan cocido en el horno Se toma la s?mola, se remoja, se le echa sal, se
> deja ablandar y se soba bien sobada. Se a?ade la
> levadura y se va amasando con agua, poco a poco,
> hasta que la masa queda a punto y aparece
> trabada. Se le pone un poco de harina fina, se
> reboza con ella y se hacen tortas conforme se
> deseen, que se colocan en el doblez de un trozo
> de lino o de lana, que se recubre con pieles de
> cordero o cosa parecida, y se dejan que se
> leuden. La se?al de que est?n leudas es que se
> levanta la masa y que al golpearla deja oir un
> ruido. En seguida se cuecen con cuidado en el
> horno. Una vez cocidas, se limpian, se ponen en
> una vasija y se comen cuando haya necesidad. Si
> se emplea harina de flor o de cualquier otra
> clase no hay necesidad de remojarla, sino ponerle
> desde el principio la levadura y amasar en
> seguida. En uno y otro caso se emplear? el agua
> bastante caliente.

Bread cooked in the furnace

Take semolina, soak it, put some salt in it, let

it soften, and add oil (or butter) Add

leavening and knead it with water, little by

little, until the dough feels just right and

appears smooth. Sprinkle fine flour onto it,

to coat it flour and make rolls in the desired form, place them in a doubled piece of linen or woolen cloth, cover again with lamb skin

or something similar and let them to rise. The mass has risen sufficiently it will emit a noise when struck.

Then bake them with care of in the furnace. Once

baked, clean them, put them in a serving bowl and eat

as necessary.

        If using flour of fine quality flour or other types there is no need to soak it. Immediately add the leavening and knead it. In any case use hot water.

> [...]
> can muster will give us a translation.
>
> Bear
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:36:27 -0500
> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Missing SCA-Cooks digests
> To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.org>
>
> I posted this request previously, but didn't get any replies, so I'm
> trying again. Perhaps there is something in these missing digests
> which should find it's way into the Florilegium.
>
> I also seem to be missing
> Sca-Cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 41
> as well, now.
>
> Thanks,
>    Stefan
>
> ======
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:52:40 -0500
> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Missing digests Vol 15, Issue 51 and Vol 16,
>        Issue 28
> To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.org>
>
> I'm gradually beginning to go through my SCA-Cooks digests which came
> in just before and during Pennsic but unfortunately, the gremlins
> seem to have absconded with a few.
>
> Could someone please send me digests:
> Sca-Cooks Digest, Vol 15, Issue 51
> Sca-Cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 28
>
> Thanks,
>      Stefan
> ======
> --------
>     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:40:04 -0400
> From: ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] bread recipe in Fadalat al-Jiwan fi Tayyibat
> 	al-t'aam wa-l-alwan
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
>

>> So which one is the bread recipe?
>>

> The first one.  Pan is bread.  This is an extremely rough Google translation.
> Ranvaig
>
> Pan cocido en el horno
>
> Se toma la s?mola, se remoja, se le echa sal, se deja ablandar y se soba bien sobada. Se a?ade la levadura y se va amasando con agua, poco a poco, hasta que la masa queda a punto y aparece trabada. Se le pone un poco de harina fina, se reboza con ella y se hacen tortas conforme se deseen, que se colocan en el doblez de un trozo de lino o de lana, que se recubre con pieles de cordero o cosa parecida, y se dejan que se leuden. La se?al de que est?n leudas es que se levanta la masa y que al golpearla deja oir un ruido. En seguida se cuecen con cuidado en el horno. Una vez cocidas, se limpian. se ponen en una vasija y se comen cuando haya necesidad.
> Si se emplea harina de flor o de cualquier otra clase no hay necesidad de remojarla, sino ponerle desde el principio la levadura y amasar en seguida. En uno y otro caso se emplear? el agua bastante caliente.

I have taken the liberty to correct the translation. Can't stand direct
translations so I hope it reads a little more smoothly:

Bread cooked in the furnace

Take semolina, soak it, put some salt in it, let

it soften, and add oil (or butter) Add

leavening and knead adding water little by

little until the dough is appears smooth. Sprinkle fine flour on it to

coating and make rolls in the desired form, place them in a doubled piece of linen or woolen cloth, cover again with lamb skin

or something similar and let them to rise. When mass has risen sufficiently it will emit a noise when struck.

Then bake them with care of in the furnace. Once

baked, clean them, put them in a serving bowl and eat

as necessary.

        If using flour of fine quality flour or other types there is no need to soak it. Immediately add the leavening and knead it. In any case use hot water.

> NOTES:
> Babelfish could never translate "vasija" - is
> this a special shaped container or just a
> "vessel"?

It’s a serving bowl.

> OK, i found a translation of "sobar" (to fondle,
> to paw, to grope), but it doesn't make a lot of
> sense in this context.

Said of dough for bread or cake to which oil or butter is added. I put butter in parenthesis as was not common in
Murcia at that time.

> OK, some elusive ingredients in other recipes:
> alm?ciga (Bablefish said "seedbed" and an on-line
> dictionary said it was a plant nursery) but it
> appears in a list with cinnamon, pepper and
> ginger - is it mace?

This can be lentisco or almaciga in Spanish, L. Pistacia lentiscus, Eng. lentisk, mastic.

> alones - what part of a chicken is this?

Big “alas” in Spanish or big wings in English.

This fun! I like to be tested and Granja fascinates me. Got anymore for me?
Suey