[Sca-cooks] Period sources for cheese

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 08:26:57 PDT 2007

Drakey,

I posted my current working list of sources at the
bottom of a rather lengthy post on August 22nd.  The
original question listed Platt, Digby and Plato as
well.  There are more out there but these are the ones
that are available online so they have easier access.
Hope it helps!

Eibhlin

Here's the snipped bit of message:

Here's my current working list of sources for cheese
recipes:
Walter of Henley's Husbandrie - dates btw 1270 & 1300
Fitzherbert's Book of Husbandry - c. 1543
A hundreth good points of husbandrie - 1557
The Householders Philosophie - 1588
A dairie Booke for good huswives, Dowe - 1588
Skene of Hallyard's Manuscript of Husbandrie - 1666
Wm. Harrison, Description of Elizabethan Eng. - 1577
A generall rule to teche euery man that is willynge,
Seton
On the Making of Cheese
The nature of fresh non-salted cheese, Libro Settimo -
1593
About Cheese, Bifrons - 1556
Inventory of one of Charlemagne's Estates, c. 800
Charlemagne's Cheese, a study. (Heather Rose Jones)
1999

These, in addition to the ones you mentioned, are the
texts that I'm currently working with in regard to
cheese production.  I also have a number of livestock
and cattle documents that are from archeological finds
or period census data.