[Sca-cooks] Hello, and help with cheese?

Melanie linuxgrrlv2 at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 7 15:10:03 PDT 2007

Greetings to the list,

In an attempt to flesh out my persona more I have been
trying recipes which could conceivably have been used
in early medieval Ireland. So far things have gone
well, but now I have ventured into new territory:
cheese.

I have come with a very perplexing question: why
didn't my soft cheese work? I did everything the
recipe said...

I am trying to make 'Beer Cheese' from the book
'Prehistoric Cooking' by Jacqui Wood.

The instructions are:
1 litre whole milk
250mL beer
strainer cloth and string

Bring the milk to a boil slowly, and turn off the heat
as soon as the milk is just startingto rise in the
pan. Stir in the beer. Keep stirring until the curds
and whey separate (which should happen almost right
away, apparently). Strain through a cloth and let drip
dry a bit for an hour.

However, my milk (homogenized 3.25% from the store)
didn't do any such thing. It got sort of foamy, but
that's about it. No curds, no whey. Just milk that
tasted somewhat unpleasantly like beer. My local
grocer said that 'whole milk' is just another word for
homogenized... is this true? What went wrong?

Help?

~Muirenn Peregrina
Barony of RamsHaven, Ealdormere

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
difference between lightning and the lightning bug.
		-- Mark Twain