[Sca-cooks] period-related arrghh! provokers

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 19 16:03:24 PDT 2007

Someone recently brought this to my attention:

"As Don Voorhees tells us in his 2004 guide Why Do Donuts Have Holes?
Fascinating Food Facts About What We Eat and Drink, the first
recipe-and-gracious-living book was written by Plantina (Bartolomeo
Sacchi), a Vatican librarian, and published in 1475. Dishes included
recipes for making peacock, hummingbird livers and lark's tongue."

I cross-checked this in the Google Books version of that book, and yes,
Voorhees can't spell Platina, and he also alleges that "Plantina
published an illustrated cookbook in 157, Cooking Secrets of Pop Pius V"
which would make the gentleman uncommonly long lived, eh?

Then again, we have the Encyclopedia Britannica version:
"The printing press revolutionized the culinary arts by making cookbooks
widely available. The first known to have been printed, in 1485, was
produced by an Italian, Bartolema Scappi, who mainly recorded recipes
for marzipans and other sweets."

Care to pick these apart and reveal the truth to the home audience,
ladies and gentlemen? Remember, no stabbing  each other with the
fishforks and nutpicks....

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net