[Sca-cooks] Concentrated drinks shelf life

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 07:27:23 PDT 2007

I don't even refrigerate it, and it keeps for months.  Yeah, I "lost" a
bottle in the pantry several years ago.  It was probably a year or so old
when I found it.  Still good.  Vinegar is a wonderful thing.

Mairi Ceilidh

I made some sekanjabin and some syrup of lemons today for Pennsic, and when

I took them downstairs to the fridge, I discovered that we still have a lot
of
 sekanjabin syrup from last year.  It's perfectly clear and smells
completely normal, but my husband is worried that it might not be any  good.
I seem to
remember that sugar syrups are pretty stable and don't  really even need to
be stored in the fridge, but will last for a long  time.  Anybody have any
ideas how long this stuff will last?

I've had syrup of lemons develop cloudy, lumpy stuff in it and at that
point
I throw it out.  But as I said, the sekanjabin from last year looks
completely normal.

Brangwayna