[Sca-cooks] Food for a Demo

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 20:52:09 PDT 2008

>Medieval style gingerbread?

My planned  baking time evaporated, so I decided to go with Gyngerbrede, I'd been looking at the recipes, but it was a little scary making something for a demo, that I hadn't cooked before and had never even tasted.  From what I've read, its standard SCA fare in some places, but not here.

Breadcrumbs, honey and spices, sounds easy doesn't?  By the time I grated the  bread, heated the honey, cleaned up the overflowed honey, and convinced it to stay in the pan, three batches was a little more work that I'd planned on.  But both the students and the people in our shire liked it.  So thank you for all the help.

>Another nice thing about the gingerbread is that it makes a great
>"hands-on" demo. Just put the ingredients out and let the attendees have
>their own hand at it.

I do wonder how you handled that.  The hot honey would be hard to manage and messy, and the gyngerbrede was only manageable at all when it was still pretty warm.

Ranvaig