[Sca-cooks] Food for a Demo

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Thu Apr 3 06:31:05 PDT 2008

Well my understanding of the recipe is to clarify the honey... so using
your typical honey from the grocery store is already clean in this matter.
Sure you can use it warm, but unless you want to get the sugar in the honey
so hot as to bring it anywhere from soft ball to hard crack stage it
doesn't seem to be indicated in the recipe. (At least this is my own
interpretation). When I've done this with kids I just give them a bowl,
they mix the ingredients themselves and just enough of the clover honey to
make it stick together. Of course with the kids, I keep plenty of wipes on
hand for all the messy fingers.

"Take a quart of hony, & sethe it, & skeme it clene; take Safroun, pouder
Pepir, & þrow þer-on; take gratyd Brede, & make it so chargeaunt* þat it
wol be y-lechyd; þen take pouder Canelle, & straw þer-on y-now; þen make
yt [leaf 28.] square, lyke as þou wolt leche yt; take when þou lechyst
hyt, an caste Box leves a-bouyn, y-stykyd þer-on, on clowys. And ȝif þou
wolt haue it Red, coloure it with Saunderys y-now."

Euriol