[Sca-cooks] Flour Recommendation?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 10 09:32:57 PDT 2008

I wrote:

>> I want to try the dough again.  It will be twice as
> > much flour by weight as butter.  Water is the
>> only liquid.  What type of flour might be better for
> > a sturdier dough?  Bread flour?  Pastry flour?
> > Something else?

Doc responded:

> However, I also suspect that it may be the choice of
> fat.  Using the same methods, I find that dough made
> with butter is much softer and delicate than dough
> made with Crisco.
>
> My suspicion is that we both need to use lard - and
> since I'll be making a pie tonight, I'll try it out
> just to see what (if any) difference it makes.

Well, I'd try lard (and I'd like to hear how yours turns out...) but butter
was specified by Robin, who was making the pastry.  When you try the lard,
I'd like to know how thoroughly you incorporate it.  Robin spent nearly 10
minutes working in the butter so finely that one couldn't feel any specific
pieces of butter.

Alys

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com