[Sca-cooks] Flour Recommendation?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Apr 10 09:58:32 PDT 2008

Ivan's posted recipe from Mrs Marshall is
Raised Pie Paste
Take one pound of fine flour and rub into it a quarter of a pound of
butter, a pinch of salt, one whole egg, then mix it with cold water into
a stiff paste and use. From *Agnes B. Marshall* /Cookery Book/ (London:
1880)
So it's 4 flour to one part butter. That's the tested recipe that he
uses for his raised and molded pies, according to the website.
Don't know what recipe you are using but
the Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye from 1545 writes:

/*Take fyne floure and a cursey of fayre water and a dysche of swete
butter and a lyttel saffron, and the yolckes of two egges and make it
thynne and as tender as ye maye.*/

It doesn't specify 2 to one so maybe you might increase the flour to
butter ratios. King Arthur has a nice
whole wheat pastry flour.

Johnna