[Sca-cooks] Banana Bread from Isabella

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:11:20 PDT 2008

This is my favorite banana bread recipe; nothing wrong with the Joy of
Cooking one but I like this one better:
Banana Bread from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
2 large eggs
1 cup (7 oz ) sugar
1/3 cup (2 3/8 oz) vegetable oil (we usually use canola)
1 cup mashed banana ( 2 to 3 very ripe, large bananas, 7 to 9 oz.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 2/3 cups (11 3/8 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup (8 ounces) yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) chopped walnuts (optional)
Preaheat oven to 350 deg F. In a medium sized bowl, beat together the eggs,
sugar, and oil. Blend in the mashed banana and vanilla. In a large bowl,
whisk together and sift thoroughly the baking soda, baking powder, salt,
cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Add all at once to the banana mixture. Mis
quickly but thoroughly, then stir in the yougurt or buttermilk, mixing until
_just_ combined. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf
pan. Bake for about an hour, until a cake tester ( I use a wooden skewer, a
toothpick's too short) inserted in the center comes out clean.
My notes on this recipe: Make it in _two_ greased and floured loaf pans, one
pan always overflows and makes a mess. My oven runs a little hot; it takes
about 50 minutes in my oven, but yours may be different. The walnuts are
optional, but give it a nice texture. Pecans would work too. You could
probably put a little cardamom in it if you fancy. If you make it with
buttermilk, get real cultured buttermilk, not the kind with half a hundred
additives in it. One quart of buttermilk will make a batch of this and a
batch of Alton Brown's buttermilk pancakes, now I'm getting hungry! Bon
Appetit!
Cheers,
Isabella
PS ripe bananas have little brown freckles on them, very very ripe ones are
all brown, this works great for overripe ones.

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine