[Sca-cooks] Garbonzo Bean flour ...

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 20:41:31 PDT 2008

Falafel are very yummy, but I've only seen recipes that call for cooked garbanzo beans or fava beans, and have not seen a recipe that called for garbanzo flour.

Also search for "besan" or "gram flour", Indian terms for chickpea flour.  Besides bhaji (also called pakora), you could try besan kofta (fried "meatballs" often served in a sauce or in yogurt), patra (steamed rolls of layers of greens and chickpea paste), besan burfi (a sweet), dhokla (a spicy steamed cake that sounds rather like the Mediterranean socca) , dosa (besan crepes, usually with spicy potato filling, Kadi (vegetables in a yogurt sauce thickened with besan)... and many others.

It would probably also work well for any recipe that called for soy flour.

Ranvaig