[Sca-cooks] OOP Frying Question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 12 07:47:28 PDT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:23 AM, rattkitten wrote:
> Ok so when making Funnel Cakes with a deep fryer how do you keep the
> batter from sticking to the bottom side of the basket? It pours
> through
> and we get little dots on the bottom of the basket and the cake part
> ends up having to be almost cut off from the basket after it
> drains.  We
> have even tried to scrape it up while it was frying to very little
> avail.

Maybe you need a thicker batter and hotter oil? The trick is to get
the cake to develop a partial "skin" before it reaches the bottom of
the basket. Easier said than done, of course, until you have a little
experience and tinkering time.

Are you putting the batter into the basket and lowering it in, or
lowering the empty basket first?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter