[Sca-cooks] Garbonzo Bean flour ...

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:19:03 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:40 AM, S CLEMENGER <sclemenger at msn.com> wrote:
> Care to share the recipe for the dipping sauce?
>  I might have to try these...and the other ideas.  Have never really made anything with garbanzo flour, although I've certainly consumed more than my share of hummus, and I had a whole-grain pasta this week that was made with garbanzo flour, in part.
>  --Maire

The sauce is completely extrapolataory, conjectural and all of those
fun things. I just really needed something to serve them with -
because on their own they are an acquired taste.

Pomegranate sauce for Chick Pea Fritters
Inspired by the The Baghdad Cookery Book.

1/2 C Water
3 T Pomegranate Molasses
2 oz Raisins, pureed
1 t Red Wine Vinegar
Sugar to taste

Puree raisins. Combine all ingredients in small saucepan, simmer and
stir vigorously until desired consistency is reached.

Believe it or not, in small quantities the easiest way to puree the
raisins is with a mortar and pestle. When I created this recipe the
only kind of pomegranate that you could easily and inexpensively come
by was the Molasses. With the increased availability of Pomegranate
juice I think you could come up with a better tasting sauce by simply
using Pomegranate juice instead of the Molasses/Water combo. I find
the molasses has a background bitterness/smokiness that I do not care
for.

Pretty much the goal is a pomegranate based, thickened sweet and sour
sauce for the fritters. The tangy/sweet balances out the heat that is
in the fritters. The fritters are also a bit dry and the sauce helps
with that.

If you make them, let me know what you think!

--
Serena da Riva