[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 18:57:29 PDT 2008

jwills47933 at aol.com responded:
>first off, I did sign it, anyway the post that went to my email had
>my signature on it.
>Morvran, 14th Cent Welsh, SCA

Thanks, Morvran. It was not included in the digest (I reproduced your
message in full as i received it).

>  > Second, what period?
>
>  10th cent, 14th Cent, 15th cent

Ok, not much from the 10th C., but plenty from the 14th and 15th.

>  > Third:
>  > What country or culture are you most interested in?
>
>  English, Welsh, Italian, French, Celtic

Plenty English, French, and Italian
Not much Welsh.

And... uh, Celtic? what's that? Irish, Scottish, Cornish, Breton,
Ibero-Celts, North African Celts (yeah, well, there were some allied
with the Carthaginians before Rome ground that fine city to dust,
didn't leave us any recipes), Swiss Celts, Austrian Celts, Celts
farther East back along the migration route?

>  > Fourth:
>  > Do you want original sources in their original languages?
>  > Or do you want original sources translated into some modern language...
>
>  I would like to try to translate some on my own, but most in an
>already translated source.

I hope the links i provided prove useful, and, yeah, i use Martha
Carlin's site, too, so, thanks Bear.

I'm rather fond of "The Medieval Kitchen" by Redon, Saban, and
Serventi, which covers French and Italian recipes from the 14th and
15th C. with lots of other helpful information.

I'm also rather fond of "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" by
Barbara Santich, which covers French, Italian, Catalan, and Spanish,
mostly 14th and 15th (but IIRC, there are some earlier, too).

Both include the recipes in their original languages, in translation,
and with modern recipes, so you can "compare and contrast".

For English, among the standards are:
"Curye on Inglysch" which is a fine work comparing a multitude of
very closely related manuscripts, mostly late 14th C. all in their
original late Middle English.

"Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks" which actually reproduces two early
15th C. manuscripts and contains recipes from several more related
manuscripts, all in their original late Middle English.

For Middle English recipes rendered into modern English, well, you
have "Take a Thousand Eggs or More", and there's also "Pleyn Delit" -
be sure to use the second edition.

For 14th-15th C. Italian:
Helewyse has translated the anonymous Venetian "Libro di cucina"
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
And i host Vittoria Aureli's translation of the anonymous Tuscan
"Libro della Cocina"
http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html
The two texts are different but clearly related.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing
You can search my library for cookbooks, too
I often have comments about them.