[Sca-cooks] Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books was Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 10:40:48 PDT 2008

Actually given that Volume One of Take a Thousand Eggs or More
already reproduces the original recipes (and with a translation by Cindy
Renfrew)
from Harleian MS. 279, Harleian MS. 4016, and Extracts of Ashmole MS.
1439, Laud MS. 553, and Douce MS. 55,
one really doesn't need to purchase the Austin edition.
Also the 1888 Austin edition is now up online at:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;cc=cme;rgn=main;view=text;idno=CookBk

Buying the hardcover book these days can wait. Instead one might buy
Wilson or Brears or Scully.
Or perhaps one of the texts suggested in my Tournaments Illuminated article
"The Essentials or Culinary Texts a Reader Must Know About" in the Fall
2005 issue # 156.

Johnnae (playing librarian)

Lilinah wrote in answer to  Morvran