[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 15 16:56:00 PDT 2008

J. Wills? asked:

<<< I was wondering were would be a good sources for period cookbooks
and Period to modern glosseries.? I very much want to get my medieval
(period) culinary show going as it were. >>>

I would recommend taking a look at the files in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium, particularly this file:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

For background info, it might also be a good idea to read some of the
books about medieval food, which aren't in themselves cookbooks such
as those reviewed in this file:
books-food-msg   (172K)  2/21/08    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

These days there are an increasing about of period cookbooks
available online, and this file lists many of these:
online-ckbks-msg  (68K)  4/12/08    Online versions of period cookbooks.

However, these are mostly just translations of these early cookbooks
and if you want versions of these recipes translated into modern
recipe format, you'll have to look elsewhere.
online-ckbks-msg  (68K)  4/12/08    Online versions of period cookbooks.

And lastly, in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section there are eight copies of
translations of cooking manuscripts from within and just after our
time period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas