[Sca-cooks] Potrero War Welcome Potluck

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 18 18:05:25 PDT 2008

--On Friday, April 18, 2008 8:56 PM -0400 Cassandra Baldassano
<euriol at ptd.net> wrote:

> That the losing side got Pittsburgh (Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands)
> seems to lend credence to the name of the group. :)
>
> When I was out West the Province of Southern Shores and the Shire of
> Esfenn had a similar (much smaller scaled) war over Milipitas. So the
> losing side was to get the SCA corporate office.

I always liked the alternative legend where a young fellow named Cariadoc
was king of the Middle and sent a war arrow to the East proposing to gather
on the border for battle (and other fun stuff). A year or so later, when
this same young fellow was king of the East, he found the arrow and sent it
back -- and so it was that Pennsic was declared and accepted by the same
king!  (and since that same young fellow went on to reconstruct, redact,
and generally distribute recipes and other ideas of the art of medieval
cookery within the Known World, this even has a kindof sideways food
content :-))

Now, how true that is, only one man can answer (and since he's on the list,
perhaps he will!)

toodles, margaret