[Sca-cooks] Fruit or vegetable?

terry l. ridder terrylr at blauedonau.com
Sat Apr 26 06:36:03 PDT 2008

hello;

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, David Walddon wrote:

> I am looking for a working definition between a fruit and a vegetable.
>
> Does anyone have a good one? Or comments on the below?

ah. the problem is that there are botanical definitions, the
homecook definitions, the culinary definitions, and the legal
definitions.

vegetable is a culinary word.
fruit is a culinary and botanical word.

i personally go with the botanical definitions
to avoid confusion with commonplace definitions.

there are berries, pomes, drupes, false berries, accessory fruits,
compound fruits and multiple fruits

the tomato is legally a vegatable but botanical a fruit, per
the united states supreme court in 1893.

a vegetable is anything that is not a fruit.
roots crops are vegetables.
immature flowers and buds are vegetables.

> The many definitions I have found are at odds with each other or fog
> the issue with ambiguity!

<snip>

--
terry l. ridder ><>