[Sca-cooks] A very impressive feast

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Apr 27 13:49:17 PDT 2008

Yesterday Elizabeth and I attended a West Kingdom Collegium which
ended with a small feast--about 44 guests. The food, so far as I
could tell, was all from 14th-15th c. English cookbooks, and
competently done, which was nice.

But what was really impressive was the organization of the feast. The
people responsible had done a lot of research on serving, behavior
expected of guests, and the like. They trained their
servers--including all categories from feast marshall down I think it
came to about fifteen or twenty people--in advance, and they provided
a handout and a verbal explanation to the guests in advance. They had
built suitable benches for the guests, provided period spoons, used
period knives (used by the servers, not the guests), had all servers
in garb of the proper period, and managed a good many other things
right.

For details see:

http://www.caldarium.org/collegium/?q=node/3

Has anyone else done this sort of thing at this level before?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com