[Sca-cooks] 100 tips for Frugal Feasts

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 28 07:44:48 PDT 2008

>  To add a couple more:

1) Make friends with your favorite grocery store employees.
Talk to your grocery meat/ seafood/ produce managers.  Explain what you are
doing and the quantity you need.

I just got Sea Bass for $9/lb instead of the list $19/lb because I went and
talked to the manager and said I needed 15 lbs (4 full filets).  I got them
frozen as they arrive at the store and thawed/portioned them myself.  The
fish was better than if I would have purchased pre-thawed from them and was
less work for the store.

2) Portion control - can't stress that enough.  I always cook a "test feast"
before I cook for the masses.  I hold a dinner party, ususally of the folks
that will be helping me, and cook the whole feast for "1 table".  I can see
how dishes work together, what doesn't work, how much, etc.  The diners get
to try everything that they probaby won't get to eat as they will be
working.  They get to see how I would like it to be plated.

3) Try making your own pasta...come on...it won't hurt :)

Vitha
*I just finished a feast for $7/head: Starter, 3 meats, cheese course &
dessert - underbudget. (Including the sea bass)