[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 19:37:07 PDT 2008

Jadwiga asked:

<<< I know there's a recipe for salt fish in Welserin, but it calls for
soaking the fish in lye. I've used modern salt cod, soaked for 24 hours
and rolled in breadcrumbs, as a dish cooked over the fire, and we all
liked it very much. Can you all point me to more recipes of things to do
with salt fish? >>>

Are you talking about fish living in salt water or are you talking
about fish preserved with salt? Since you mention soaking the fish
for 24 hours, I assume you mean salted fish. These are in the
Florilegium FOOD-MEATS section:

stockfish-msg    (118K) 11/ 4/06    Period preserved fish. Dried,
smoked and
                                        salted fish. Recipes.

Once you've soaked salted fish, many of the standard, fresh fish
recipes will work with them.

fish-msg         (150K)  1/17/08    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the
SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
salmon-msg        (86K) 11/28/07    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
    (was salmon salted? Or just smoked or dried?)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com