[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Apr 30 11:55:37 PDT 2008

> Are you talking about fish living in salt water or are you talking
> about fish preserved with salt? Since you mention soaking the fish
> for 24 hours, I assume you mean salted fish. These are in the
> Florilegium FOOD-MEATS section:
>
> stockfish-msg    (118K) 11/ 4/06    Period preserved fish. Dried,
> smoked and
>                                         salted fish. Recipes.

I'm looking specifically for recipes for fish that has been preserved by
salting, yes. I found one period recipe in the Florilegium...

Any other *period* recipes, for dried, salted fish, that y'all are aware of?

This is what I've found in the Florilegium file that's a period recipe,
posted by Master A:

>Here's a period German recipe for what seems pretty clearly to be
>lutefisk, courtesy of Valoise Armstrong's translation of Das Kochbuch
>von Sabina Welserin, 1553 C.E. :

> 33 To prepare dried cod, from the gracious Lord of Lindau, who was
Bishop in Constance
> First take river water and ashes and add caustic lime, which should be
rather strong, and soak the dried cod therein. Allow it to soak for a
day and a night, afterwards drain it off and pour on it again the
previously described caustic lime solution. Let it soak again for a day
and a night, put it afterwards in a pot and wash it off two or three
times in water, so that the fish no longer tastes like lye. Put it then
in a pot and put water therein and let it slowly simmer so that it does
not boil over. Allow it to only simmer slowly, otherwise it becomes
hard. Let it cook approximately one hour, after which, dress and salt it
and pour salted butter over it and serve it. Also put good mustard on
the outside in about three places. One must also beat dried cod well
before it is soaked.>
--

-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net