[Sca-cooks] Favorite dessert?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 5 01:43:30 PDT 2008

Adamantius's description of a nasty cake surprise reminded me...

I generally don't care much for cake. More often than not, the cake's
too dry and is nothing but a support for massive amounts of sugary
frosting that no matter what the color all tend to taste the same. Or
it has such a suspiciously light crumb that one knows it is a
chemical compound with only enough flour in it to be called a cake.

I was actually fond of the chocolate layer cake from the now no
longer accessible Just Desserts. I'd get a little one for my birthday
to share with my daughter and some friends. The cake was moist enough
and there wasn't too much frosting. Sigh of longing.

But a couple years ago, my consort and i spent a week in Vancouver in
February. There i discovered a shop with cakes i actually liked. They
towered, they were so tall, that i was a bit fearful. Turned out the
cakes had 4 layers, and the amount of cake and of frosting were
nicely balanced. And thankfully they were sliced relatively thin. But
i didn't feel cheated because it was just the right amount, along
with a cup of coffee. I don't think we ever ordered the food there,
just cake. I tended to get the lemon. And, what the heck, it had a
great name.
http://www.trueconfections.ca/

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)