[Sca-cooks] Garbonzo Bean flour ...

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Thu Apr 10 23:38:24 PDT 2008

>Hi Everyone.
>
>I have a dilemma.  I recently picked up some garbonzo
>bean flour and am wondering what to do with it.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Lady Maria

I like to make these. We discovered them, years and years ago, before
the internet and all the nifty period resources, and we wanted to
explore Spanish cooking for a feast. Probably not authentic, but
tasty. The garbanzo bean flour thickens it, and gives it a sort of
nutty taste. I cook them on a hot cast iron skillet, turning when
they bubble, like pancakes, and then flattening them when I flip them.

Enjoy,

Morgana yr Oerfa

Tortillitas de Camarones
Shrimp Pancakes

These shrimp-studded little pancakes are a popular tapa in the
plentiful tapas bars of Sevilla.

SERVES 6 TO 8 AS A TAPA

Begin preparation 2 hours in advance.

1 cup flour
1 cup garbanzo flour
1 small bunch parsley, stemmed & minced
1 medium onion, peeled & minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 pound prawns or shrimp, peeled & coarsely chopped
olive oil for frying

Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a bowl and let rest,
covered and refrigerated, for 2 hours.
Heat about 3 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet. Drop the batter by
the spoonful into the oil to form 3- to 4-inch cakes. Cook until
golden brown on both sides and drain on paper towels.
Serve immediately -- best eaten while they are still very hot and the
edges crisp.

-A Season in Spain/walker
©1992, Simon & Schuster
--
Wit is educated insolence. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)