[Sca-cooks] Period Cookbooks and Period to modern glosseries

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:40:27 PDT 2008

I have been working for I can't remember how many years on a
Spanish-English glossary. It consists of Spanish words in recipes from
Huici's Spanish translation of the 13th C Hispano-Arab text, Nola's
Castellan text, some of Sent Sovi but not much as I do not speak
Catalan, northern food items as in Leon, Asturias and Galicia and
Extremadura especially where I have spent a lot of time especially
because we bring five pigs from Huelva annually to Madrid and the family
that kills them and teaches me to make their chorizo and other pork
products comes from Monroy. Here is Chile we sacrifice a few sheep at
Christmas time. I have taken my photos to the Monroy family and they are
so impressed that the conquistores from their lands took their methods
of the slaughter to South America. Back to the subject the Spanish words
are  explained in English. Such as

*almizcle*, *hierba de almizcle, almizclera, aguja de Nuestra Señora*,
*hebra* *del* *moro*, OCast /almizque, almizcado/ L. /Er odium
moschatum,/ Ar. /mi(sk /or/ al'milhrâs/, Eng./ /musky storkbill. It is
very similar to red stem stork's bill (L. /Er odium planetarium/, Sp.
/Valparaiso's/) but the cuts in the leaves are not as sharp although
similar and can penetrate sheepskin. It grows all over Spain and on the
Balearic Islands in meadows and hidden spots. It is rare elsewhere. In
Spain, the juice was extracted and drunk with water and sugar before
breakfast and at bedtime for its diuretic and vulnerary properties. It
is most known as a perfume and at times has been called the 'Moor's
perfume'. It is rare elsewhere. [Nola/Iranzo. 1982:167; and Nola/Pérez.
1992:187]

    Total I don't think I can improve the text anymore but as we saw
with Fadalat the first publication on line stunk my English is so bad. I
hope now we have caught enough errors to make appear presentable. Now
here I must say I have very little chance to practice English, it is my
husband's third language and our children are grown living in Mexico and
the states. Recently Peter, my husband, went to the states for a big
birthday party of a former employer. The night before the grand event
his poetic mind ran away with him and got up from bed and wrote a
beautiful speech in her honor. The next day at the proper time he stood
up and gave his speech. While relating this story to me he repeatably
told me but 'you know Suey my English is so bad, so bad.' When he
finished his little speech he looked up and everyone at the banquet was
crying, 'Oh, Peter, I exclaimed, Was your English soo BAD!, so BAD??'
    Now my little piece is a bit longer that Peter's speech. I spent
various years the National Library in Spain from 9-9, 5 days a week and
went to Britain to the London and Bodlien to research so I don't want to
publish these 400 pages on line. I would like to receive some
compensation by publishing with an editor in book style. My question is
to whom can I address my issue and who will edit properly. An American
friend published recently after his wife and he combed his work up and
down. They received the first edition, opened it and on the first page
there was a gross error the two had missed. The publisher had not even
looked at the work before sending it to press.
Suey