[Sca-cooks] Hong Kong Waffles / gei dan jai

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 01:28:53 PDT 2008

In Wednesday's LA Times food section there was an article on the eclectic mix of Hong Kong
and Russian foods in some of the restaurants here in the San Gabriel Valley.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/

One of the menu items that was discussed in the article was Hong Kong style waffles and they
showed a picture of a waffle that consisted of many round balls instead of the traditional
European and American square grid waffle.  This intrigued me as I had never had seen or
encountered such a waffle before.  As I loves me some waffles, I just had to investigate this
further.  It took me forever to find a correct recipe because there are several on the net that
say they are Hong Kong style waffle recipes, but really aren't.  Now I am in search of the round
waffle iron.  I must have one for my collection.  Below is a website that has photos of these
waffles and the waffle iron.

http://chaxiubao.typepad.com/chaxiubao/2006/09/gei_dan_chai_ho.html

Adamantius, do you have any clue where to get this waffle iron?  Anyone else?  I couldn't find
one offered for sale on the net.

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/