[Sca-cooks] Hong Kong Waffles / gei dan jai

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 03:42:10 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 4:28 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> In Wednesday's LA Times food section there was an article on the
> eclectic mix of Hong Kong
> and Russian foods in some of the restaurants here in the San Gabriel
> Valley.
>
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food/
>
> One of the menu items that was discussed in the article was Hong
> Kong style waffles and they
> showed a picture of a waffle that consisted of many round balls
> instead of the traditional
> European and American square grid waffle.  This intrigued me as I
> had never had seen or
> encountered such a waffle before.  As I loves me some waffles, I
> just had to investigate this
> further.  It took me forever to find a correct recipe because there
> are several on the net that
> say they are Hong Kong style waffle recipes, but really aren't.  Now
> I am in search of the round
> waffle iron.  I must have one for my collection.  Below is a website
> that has photos of these
> waffles and the waffle iron.
>
> http://chaxiubao.typepad.com/chaxiubao/2006/09/gei_dan_chai_ho.html
>
> Adamantius, do you have any clue where to get this waffle iron?
> Anyone else?  I couldn't find
> one offered for sale on the net.

Without even looking (which I will do, mind you), I'd bet many strings
of cash that we're talking about what my lady wife refers to as "egg
cakes", which are, indeed, cooked from a batter in an iron which
divides the proceeds into a sheet of inch-long joined egg-shaped
"doughnuts". Every time I've ever seen them, they've been cooked by a
lady in a little stall on the corner of Mott and Mosco streets, who
deftly separates them into individual "eggs" with a pair of tongs and
sells them in small wax-paper sacks by the dozen.  I don't know the
Cantonese name for these, but the "gai dan" part of the name you've
provided definitely denotes hens' eggs.

The lady also sells what are called "egg rolls", which are nothing
like spring rolls or even the deep-fried, meat-filled omelette
wrappers also so called; they're more like a modern wafer. Not sure if
they're baked in an oven or in an iron, but they're _very_ thin, and
rolled into a tube while warm and soft. I've never seen these being
made; the lady sells them in tins.

I've always liked the egg-cake lady, who I feel is tapping into a very
ancient street food and street sales tradition (check a copy of the
Larousse Gastronomique and see if the edition in question still has an
entry under "Street Cries of Paris" for a nice little essay on this).
The only time I ever really managed to have an actual conversation
with the egg cake lady, it turned out she was not, in fact, putting
her children through college on the proceeds. How young did I think
she was? She was putting her grandchildren through Princeton...

Seems to me that the irons are very hard to come by. I'll have to go
beyond the usual resource of asking my lady wife and go directly to
the mountain... and ask my mother-in-law.

But first I'll search for "Chinese egg cake iron" on the web...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9407E4DE1039F932A25751C1A962958260

All I can find are some articles on the Egg Cake Lady (apparently I'm
not the only one who calls her this), whose name turns out to be
Cecilia Tam.

I'll ask She Who Must be Obeyed Even By She Who Must be Obeyed, a.k.a.
The Iron Lotus Blossom.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter