[Sca-cooks] pork chips was: Okay, it's "Very Stupid Question" time...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 11:28:37 PDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 12:40 PM, elisabetta at klotz.org wrote:

> Just because someone eats regional Southern food, doesn't mean they
> can't
> spell. It's not a typo, but a fried pork patty.
>
> Pork Chips:
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/08/pork-chips-you-cant-eat-just-o.html

Of course. This is Number Three of the many hits on Google when you
enter "pork chips" as individual words. But when you enter the phrase
in quotes, you still get several thousand hits, most of which are
still recipes for pork chops with typos (or possibly some humorous
nickname) in the title, and the above is still Hit Number Three.

Not too many are references to pork rinds, cracklin's, chicharrones,
or other fried pork-rind-ey product, oddly enough.

I had assumed that what our telekinetic friend was eating was a meat-
based, entree-type dish of cooked pork, but never having encountered
this name before, there was some question, and one can only plug in
the data one has, after all. I had further assumed, based on he
majority of the other chips one tends to find on a dinner table, that
these were fried, possibly breaded or otherwise coated, disks or
fingers of pork, possibly ground, possibly not. Beyond that was petty
much what I was hoping to learn.

It may come down to everybody thinking that what they were brought up
eating is in some range from "normal" to "universal", and that Food X
is part of a regional cuisine that other people in the region may be
unaware of. In the end, it may just be the numerical stats that tell
the true tale.

Thanks for the info!

Adamantius

bellies."