[Sca-cooks] Scenario One was Lowest Cost for a reasonably festive feast & a camping event meal ?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Apr 27 19:14:21 PDT 2008

Scenario One may not be all that cheap because one runs into
certain health/safety food regulations these days for feasts.
In many cases for instance the cheapest meat would be donated venison
for all, but in many states that might be illegal to serve that at a feast.
(Meat must come from a USDA sources.) One cannot pre-cook or freeze
foods at home unless one has an approved kitchen at hand and approved
freezers.
Likewise many kitchens and counties require that all food be prepared on
site.
No make ahead stocks or brought in dishes allowed. Baking may be done
off premises
in certain instances, but that's about all that is allowed.

So maybe to make this challenge even more realistic, one ought to check
with one's local county
and read the laws and guidelines governing feasts. Tailor your frugal
feast then with those regulations
in mind. Oh and make it medieval too while you are at it.

Johnnae