[Sca-cooks] New World Foods / potato in Rumpolt?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 28 00:34:24 PDT 2008

I believe that should be Dauphin (or possibly, Dauphine, the wife).

I have no problem with the Dauphin eating potatoes prepared in the manner of
truffles, but I would really like to know which Dauphin and I would like to
know how he had his truffles prepared.

The guy in England is probably John Gerard.  He received his potatoes in
1586.  Carolus Clusius received his samples in 1587.  The earliest record of
potatoes in use in Europe (as poverty fare) is 1573 in Spain (where they may
have been imported from the New World), but they were likely not in major
cultivation for they don't show up in Clusius's study of the plants of Spain
in 1576.  To my knowledge, leaving aside the questionable recipe in Rumpolt,
all reports of eating white potatoes are after 1590.

The idea that they regularly eaten in Germany is probably from Clusius's
herbal, "The Italians do not know where they were first produced. Certain it
is, however, that they were obtained either from Spain or from America. It
is a great wonder to me that, when it was so common and frequent in the
Italian settlements (so they say), that they feast upon these tubers, cooked
with the flesh of mutton, in the same manner as upon turnips and carrots,
they give themselves the advantage of such nourishment, and allow news of
the plant to reach us in such an off-hand way. Now, indeed, in many gardens
in Germany it is quite common because it is very fruitful."

Note that this was published in 1601 and does not give a clear indication of
when they became common in Germany.  The evidence suggests that white
potatoes were not in general use or cultivation in Europe for most of the
16th Century.  If the botanical specimens didn't reach Central Europe until
the mid-1580s, I seriously doubt that they were in common use at that time.

Based on the evidence, I think one can say that in general, potatoes were
not eaten in Europe and that they weren't common in Germany much before
1590.  Italy is a slightly different matter, but I don't think you can place
potatoes (as botanical to the Vatican) before 1547.  I would think 40 to 50
years to move them from Rome north to Southern Germany would be about right.
One needs to consider temporal as well as spacial precision.

I would like to see a copy of this paper.

Bear