[Sca-cooks] NOTT feast report (VERY long) (was fish)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:48:25 PDT 2008

> "the marscapone scared people but was very good"
>
> Scarey cheese? Hrosvitha, *please* explain that one.
>
> (Understand that people claim I sprout phantom mouse ears whenever the
> word, much less the presence of, cheese is involved...)
>
> Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

The mascarpone was wonderful!  Folks were putting that on the wafers with the pom and lemon sauces.  I even had bits shoved in my mouth while walking by~  mmmmmmmmmmmm....yummm

I am actually glad of the timing of Vitha's posting.  I haven't had any time to write any comments and thanks for letting me play.  I awoke this morning with this very intention.

It was my honor and pleasure of be of service to Vitha in prep for this feast.  I did not manage to catch up with her in the cheese making parts but did get to sample the end results and, for the most part, I was highly impressed.  One of them was a bit too salty for my taste and I wonder if it may have been because it needed a bit more age.  Unfortunately I can't tell you which one it was.  I was well into mass sampling.

I have to say that Vitha made the most of the hands and talents that came into the kitchen.   Poor Simone seemed to be cranking out pasta or pastery sheets for most of the day it seems~!  Not really, but it sure seemed that way.

I was fortunate enough to be put in charge of the mixture for the elderflower torte and as any slices  came back they went straight to my mouth with most folks knowing not to get between me and the pan.

The beef was excellent.  I did not work on it but helped in dishing it out and was kind enough not to hold back an entire bowl for myself.

The fish was wonderful but I got only the tiniest taste because there was another who took it over and wouldn't share .

Portion control was well done.  There was a LOT of food and much of the last could have been sent back untouched if it had not been for such good portion control.  Even the few undercooked chickens were sent back for a "finishing off" rather than a return uneaten and they were part of the last course, sans the desset.

I do agree with Vitha's comment about the salad being plated and dressed too early.  In my careless, unthinking manner I took one look and made a rather rude comment when I saw them at serving time.

I did have to take off for the middle of the day for a couple hours and was very happy to see that others had stepped in between my leaving and my coming back to help for the last "push" and plating.  There was even a fellow there all day long doing nothing but washing up.  What a trooper!

Vitha, when you have need of my service again, please ask.  I truely enjoyed working in your kitchen.

Oh, and that Silver Nautalus was well deserved!

Dame Olwen the Odd