[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 30 20:48:49 PDT 2008

--On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:31 PM -0400 ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Could "aillie" and "ail" mean aioli?  I've heard that mayonnaise isn't
> period, I'm not sure if aioli is, but it could be a precursor.

It's possible the two words have the same origin, whether or not they mean
the same. The Dictionary of the Scots Tongue (http://www.dsl.ac.uk) has,
s.v. Gansel

 [O.Sc. has gansell, from c.1470, used only in proverbial sayings and with
the orig. meaning of garlic sauce; Mid.Eng. gaunsell, ad. O.Fr. ganse
aillie , garlic-sauce, from ganse, some kind of sauce +  aillie , adj.,
from ail, garlic.]

toodles, margaret