[Sca-cooks] Online Paper on the use of spices in Medieval Europe

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 10:07:14 PDT 2008

Spices and Their Costs in Medieval Europe

By Prof. John H. Munro, Dept. of Economy, University of Toronto

www.economics.utoronto.ca/Munro5/SPICES1.htm

Has anyone accessed this paper for research?  He has an excellent argument
against the use of spice to cover bad flavors or to preserve foods.
However, I find that most of the rest of the paper is sort of shaky on
documentation.  He does use some recipes from Two Fifteenth Century Cook
Books, but he only shows the worked out recipes, not the originals.  Also,
great as it is, that is a secondary source.  He also quotes a sentence from
Le Menagerie, but no recipes.  Most of his other facts all seem to be based
on only one or two sources, and some of that documentation is just a bit
questionable.  At the end his bibliography only lists three sources.  I
found a lot of his discussion and conclusions right on the mark, but I would
like to have seen more research than he shows.  I'm really disappointed in
Professor of Economic History Munro.

Lady Anne du Bosc Known as Mordonna The Cook

Mka Pat Griffin

Thorngill, Meridies

mka Montgomery, AL