[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 2 11:13:16 PDT 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 1:44 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> Yummm!
> How do you prepare the spinach and tamarind? I've got a couple of
> blocks of
> tamarind paste in my cupboard that are begging to be played with....
> Gawd....It all sounds good! No wonder she hit him!
> --Maire

I'd have to find the recipe, which is in something with an inspiring
name like "The Burmese Kitchen" or some such, but as I recall it's a
pretty basic Burmese curry "masala", which would normally be a
slightly caramelized paste of onion, garlic, and ginger, with perhaps
some powdered dried shrimp added, then thinned down with strained
tamarind pulp and juice (assuming the dried bricks or equivalent is
what you started with) to make a sort of curry gravy, then braise the
spinach in that. Spices added vary, but seem not to be quite as varied
or numerous as in Indian curries; often chili and turmeric are about it.

Also fantastic with tomatoes, but chiles and cilantro get added.

Burmese curries always seem to me to be just a touch too oily and
salty, but over rice or noodles this all evens out...

Adamantius